We are looking to recruit an outstanding individual to join the UK Public Health Rapid Support Team (UK-PHRST) as the Equity and Human Rights Advisor.
This is an exciting opportunity to join the UK-PHRST, whose triple remit is to support outbreak response, outbreak-related research and capacity development in low- and middle-income countries. The UK-PHRST is a partnership between PHE and LSHTM, with contributions from numerous academic partners. The UK-PHRST monitors infectious diseases and other hazards globally to identify situations where the deployment of specialist expertise can mitigate these threats. It rapidly deploys a team of multidisciplinary public health professionals and researchers to mitigate epidemic threats on behalf of the UK Government by supporting national governments, the World Health Organisation and other partners.
Main duties of the job
Based in the UK the post-holder will be responsible for leading the systematic integration of equity and human rights concerns into the UK-PHRST programme. The post-holder will be expected to help construct and implement a proactive strategic and operational approach, insuring collection and analysis of evidence and implementation of processes that elucidate and promote equity and human rights across the UK-PHRST’s triple remit of response, research and capacity development. Although this post is not required to be deployable within 48hrs of a request, there will be a necessity for travel overseas, albeit infrequently, to support UK-PHRST capacity development exercises together with opportunities to develop overseas research projects in this area.
Working for our organisation
Public Health England (PHE) is an executive agency of the Department of Health and Social Care providing; strategic leadership, research, advice and support for Government, local authorities and the NHS in protecting and improving the nations health. We offer a benefits package designed to provide an excellent work/life balance, including generous annual leave entitlement, flexible working hours, possibility of working from home and membership of the excellent civil service pension scheme. We are absolutely committed to the development of our staff and offer wide-ranging opportunities for training and professional development
Option 3 – External
Open to all external applicants (anyone) from outside the Civil Service (including by definition internal applicants).
Detailed job description and main responsibilities
The successful candidate will ideally have a strong understanding of equity and human rights issues with the context of Global Public Health and infectious diseases outbreaks with experience of developing human rights and equity strategies, training and tools, that can be integrated into programme development and delivery.
- Master’s degree in Human Rights or Gender studies or a related field or equivalent relevant experience in equity and human rights
Knowledge and experience
- Experience developing human rights and equity strategies, trainings and tools that can be integrated into programme development and delivery
- Demonstrable experience of using research findings and programme delivery outcomes to strengthen and improve human rights and equity integration
- Strong understanding of equity and human rights issues with the context of Global Public Health and infectious diseases outbreaks
- Understanding of information governance, health protection issues and data confidentially requirements
- Experience of providing effective project and people management
Skills and capabilities
- Highly effective verbal, written and presentation communications skills; capable of constructing and delivering clear ideas and concepts concisely and accurately for diverse audiences
- Able to build and maintain effective relationships with co-workers and key stakeholders both in the UK and overseas
- Able to apply epidemiological techniques and concepts in acute emergency settings
- Proficient with statistical analyses using common statistical packages, such as R, STATA and NVivo
Equality and diversity
- An understanding of and commitment to equality of opportunity and good working relationships, both in terms of day-to-day working practices, but also in relation to management systems and working with multi-ethnic and multi-cultural teams
- £ Salary Offer £50,000 ~ £100,000
- Experience Levels Senior
- Total Years of Experience 0-5