Program Volunteer Roles, 2020-2021
Position: Community Health Worker Program Volunteer
Reports to: Community Health (CHW) Program Coordinators
Compañeros En Salud (CES) is an affiliate of Partners In Health in Chiapas, Mexico. The organization’s mission is to build a primary health care model of excellence in rural Mexico. To learn more about the organization and its mission, as well as the location and living conditions of our site please visit http://www.companerosensalud.mx. The PIH website offers additional context at: www.pih.org.
CES strives to create volunteer positions that serve the organization’s mission and priorities as well as provide a substantive learning experience. The volunteer roles are based in Chiapas, Mexico, and contribute to key service and research functions of the organization.
These roles are ideal for a recent college graduate exploring global health, medical or graduate student taking a gap year, or a mid-career professional interested in exploring a global health career. The volunteer roles are not clinical in nature.
All applicants should have high proficiency in Spanish, and be able to confidently carry out work conversations exclusively in Spanish. CES also looks for applicants who have a demonstrated ability to adapt to rural conditions, such as candidates who have lived in a resource-poor or rural area previously or who have participated in wilderness or camping activities.
Support to Volunteer
CES is able in most cases to provide housing and any work-related transport once on site. CES is NOT able to defray the cost of flights to Chiapas or to provide stipends to volunteers. If you plan to apply for travel or financial support from your university, workplace, or another institution, we will collaborate with you by providing any necessary letters or site paperwork.
Applications are accepted on a rolling basis. Please include any time constraints related to fellowship applications in your application. Start Date: June 2020 End Date: June 2021
Partners In Health (PIH) is an international health organization relentlessly committed to improving the health of the poor and marginalized. PIH partners with local governments to build local capacity and works closely with impoverished communities to deliver high-quality health care, address the root causes of illness, train providers, advance research, and advocate for global policy change.
PIH currently has implementation programs in Haiti, Rwanda, Lesotho, Liberia, Malawi, Peru, Mexico, Sierra Leone and Navajo Nation. Through our partnership with Harvard Medical School and the Brigham and Women’s Hospital, we support a wide range of programs in dozens of other countries around the world.
The Community Health Worker Program Volunteer will work directly with the Community Health Worker Program Coordinator to supervise and manage the CHW program. The management responsibilities are divided by community; this position will be responsible for 4 of the 10 CES communities and will receive support in management by program coordinator. The CHW program seeks to achieve better outcomes among maternal health, mental health, early childhood development, and people living with chronic diseases by having community health workers visit patients’ homes to provide social and educational support as well as improve medication adherence. The CHW assistant’s responsibilities include: providing continuing CHW education courses, conducting feedback sessions with CHWS, and collecting CHW data for research, monitoring, and evaluation purposes. A typical work week includes traveling to rural communities Monday to Thursday and working in the office on Fridays for team meetings. This volunteer position is ideal for a candidate with an interest in community health programs design and management.
- Using predesigned curriculum, instruct continuing education courses for CHWs in rural communities.
- Provide collective and individual support for the CHWs both on a professional and personal level by not only providing group trainings, but also spending quality time in their homes.
- Conduct home visits with CHWS and provide individualized mentorship.
- Design new lesson plans based on the needs of the CHWs and their patients.
- Collect program and patient satisfaction data for CHW program monitoring and evaluation.
- Assist the CHW program coordinator in the development and implementation of new community programs, with special attention to their planning, logistics, and feasibility.
- Experience and passion for teaching and creating health education lesson plans.
- Flexibility with changing work schedules and living conditions.
- Strong interpersonal skills, outgoing personality
- Ability to problem-solve as part of a team and with limited resources.
- Proactive and collaborative work style.
- Spanish fluency or high proficiency.
- Well-developed organizational skills.
- Fluency with Excel.
- Experience in a low-resource or rural setting or with wilderness activities strongly preferred.
- To reach patient and CHW homes will occasionally require trekking in the mountains – preferred candidates will demonstrate a willingness to meet physical demands of the position responsibilities
Please include a resume or CV AND cover letter in order to be considered. In your cover letter, please detail your previous relevant experience as well as details about your Spanish language proficiency.
Partners In Health is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- £ Salary Offer POA