The Department of Social and Preventive Medicine (DMSP) in the School of Public Health at the Université de Montréal (ESPUM) is recruiting for a position at rank of assistant professor for a multidisciplinary teaching and research career in global health. The DMSP brings together 37 professors and more than 80 adjunct, clinical and research professors divided into four areas of excellence: Epidemiology-Biostatistics, Health Promotion, Bioethics and Global Health. Global health is a multidisciplinary field of study, research and practice that focuses on improving health and achieving health equity for the world’s population; global health research and practice therefore presents epistemological, ethical and methodological challenges. Priority areas include but are not limited to: global health and climate change; refugees and migrants; chronic diseases; vulnerable populations and youth; gender, intersectionality and global health; governance and global health.
The Université de Montréal is the only francophone Canadian institution to offer training programs in public health and health services administration accredited by American organizations such as the Council for Education in Public Health (CEPH) and the Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Management Education (CAHME). The ESPUM offers specialized training in all areas of public health, at the undergraduate and graduate levels, and in professional and research training programs. Our professors are associated with several research centres of excellence in Montreal and have multiple national and international collaborations.
As a professor, you will have the opportunity to contribute to the promotion of the excellence of the DMSP and the ESPUM through your teaching and research activities. You will also contribute to the visibility of your discipline and actively participate in the functioning of a leading academic institution. As such, you will be asked to:
- Teach at the undergraduate and graduate levels in the field of global health,
- Supervise master’s and doctoral students and postdoctoral fellows in the production of theses, directed studies, and internships,
- Develop and conduct an applied global health research program and publish in scientific journals,
- Contribute actively to the functioning of the Department and the School by being involved in administrative, teaching and scientific activities,
- Participate in external academic activities and contribute to the visibility of the Department, the School and the University in scientific and professional circles.
To be successful in this role, you must:
- Hold a PhD in a relevant global health discipline (e.g., public health, health policy, epidemiology, environmental health, health systems analysis),
- Have expertise covering the analysis of major issues that characterize global health and the evaluation of possible interventions,
- Demonstrate knowledge of relevant theories and methods,
- Demonstrate an ability to provide global health education to various types of audience,
- Demonstrate an ability to conduct research that focuses on global health analysis or intervention,
- Have an adequate knowledge of the French written and spoken language or a strong commitment to mastering the proficiency level required, in accordance with the Université de Montréal’s Language Policy. An institutional learning support program is offered to all professors wishing to learn French or improve their communication skills.
How to submit your application
• a cover letter (2 pages)
• a 5-year research plan (3 pages)
• a summary of teaching approach and relevant experience (1 page)
• an academic CV
• the names of 3 references who agree to be contacted in the event that you are invited to interview
The application should be sent by email to:
Prof. Bryn Williams-Jones, Interim Director (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Department of Social and Preventive Medicine, ESPUM
Additional information about the position
Until March 12th 2021
The Université de Montréal offers competitive salaries and a full range of benefits
Ideally as of June 2021
- £ Salary Offer POA
- $ Salary Offer POA
- Experience Levels Senior
- Total Years of Experience 0-5